Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What Happened to the Bill of Rights?





In front of the Federal Building right in the heart of Kalamazoo, this pedestal had the Bill of Rights tacked onto it.  Now they are missing.

How emblematic of where this country is going, given our government's recent wrangle over the debt ceiling (something most Americans never heard of), the undeclared wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, right-wing attacks on unions, immigrants, public schools--not to mention the protection of the richest 1 percent of Americans at the sacrifice of the other 99 percent..

In 2003 during the beginning of the war with Iraq, a local civil liberties lawyer stood at this monument and pointed out each Amendments that had been dismissed by the Bush administration.  Now, as we prepare to recognize the tenth anniversary of September 11, we seem to have lost all of them. 



1 comment:

  1. Deep. And well said. You always were good with words! :)

    ReplyDelete